; KCC Employmentcheck | Certificates of Good Conduct

Certificates of Good Conduct

Wednesday 8th November 2017

A DBS check will only show details of cautions, convictions, reprimands and final warnings that are held by police forces within the UK, we therefore advise that it is best practice to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC) for applicants that have lived outside of the UK within the last 5 years, for 6 months or more.

The applicant will need to apply for the certificate themselves; you cannot do this on their behalf. The application process varies depending on the country. Please see the below link which outlines how the applicant can obtain this for each country.


We would advise that the completed certificate should then be provided to the School, and if not in English, a translation requested. A copy should then be taken and stored for the duration of the individual’s employment. You can then record that this has been completed on your Single Central Record.

It is at the School’s discretion whether they wish to state that these are mandatory for staff to provide in addition to the required DBS check, however, we would always advise that it is best practice.

You can read the full Guidance on the application process for criminal records checks overseas set out by the Department for Education.

If you have any questions or would like further information, please contact us via email at SPS.EmploymentCheck@kent.gov.uk or call us on 03000 411 114.

« Back to news listing

Ask us a question...

(e.g. Joe Bloggs)
(e.g. Employmentcheck)
(e.g. hello@joeBloggs.com)
(e.g. 07987654321)

(How can we help you?)